YEA Camp Financial Aid Policy and Application
Please read our financial aid protocol carefully before contacting us with questions and filling out the form below.
Unlike most specialty camps, which do not offer financial aid, YEA Camp is committed to making our program available to people who truly want to attend, regardless of a lack of funds. We expect financial aid applicants to demonstrate a strong commitment to attending and to doing activism on a cause they care about after camp – which is the purpose of YEA Camp!
For YEA Camp for Adults, there are two options.
- We offer a sliding scale so that people can pay reduced tuition that is in their budget without applying for financial aid. As a nonprofit, we rely on an honor system for us to be able to make YEA Camp so accessible.
- If you cannot afford the lowest tier of sliding scale, apply for financial aid here. We will get back to you as soon as we can.
For our youth camps, there are 3 steps:
- We require the potential youth camper to fill out our regular registration form first to let us know why they want to attend.
- An automatic email will be sent to the youth and to the parent or guardian whose email address they listed in their registration form. In that email, there will be a link for the parent or guardian to apply for financial aid.
- Fill out the financial aid form. We will get back to you as soon as we are able, though feel free to follow up if you haven’t heard back. We work on an honor system and do our best to accept youth who really want to attend, regardless of family circumstances.
We offer a 3-tiered scholarship program. There are a limited number of scholarships at each tier for each session.
Tier 1: Your family pays/fundraises $800, or more if you are able.
Tier 2: Your family pays/fundraises $300. This is the minimum level for families for whom tuition is a significant financial burden. If your family cannot afford this amount, say so in the application. If the potential camper is truly passionate about a cause and wanting to be at YEA Camp, we want them to be able to attend.
Tier 3: Your family/fundraises an agreed-upon amount, which is supplemented by volunteer work, such as publicizing the camp, administrative help, or contributing other significant skills. Acceptance into the camp is contingent upon following through with this work.
Note: Our lowest formal scholarship level is $300, which covers only our most basic expenses for each additional camper. If this is a hardship for your family, please say so in the application. We encourage you and your son or daughter to fundraise this amount by creating an inspiring fundraising page explaining why they want to attend. Share that page with family and friends and with us, and we will share it with our supporters for them to donate. You might be surprised how many people will contribute!
Parents, please contact us first if your child has a serious physical, mental, or emotional condition (including severe anxiety or ADHD, or significant developmental disabilities), life-threatening allergies, significant physical disabilities, or has experienced severe trauma. We want to be sure that your child’s needs do not exceed the capacity of our program. If it is appropriate for your child to attend YEA Camp, they may need a physician’s release.
Our generous financial aid policy relies on:
a) individual donations
b) each family paying the most that they can afford,
c) campers creating a fundraising page here, and
d) families contributing in non-financial ways, such as publicizing YEA Camp at your school, in your community, or online; volunteering for needed projects; or bartering valued skills.
We typically do not offer financial aid for returning campers. With a full year to plan to return to YEA Camp, our fundraising workshop at camp, and help from the supportive YEA Camp community, we have confidence in our returning campers’ ability to fundraise toward their tuition or pay on a payment plan. If you are an alumni camper and need help with this, please reach out to your YEA Camp community! We do sometimes make exceptions, depending on space, so please let us know if fundraising is not an option for you and your family.
Let us know if you have any questions about our financial aid process by emailing us at email@example.com.