From our first ever YEA Camp in 2009 to the 16(!) more sessions we have held since, YEA Camp has never been about one particular issue. We recognize the interconnectedness of social justice issues ranging from racism to climate change, poverty to war, and support campers in choosing an Issue of Importance (IOI) to them that they want to primarily focus on to make a difference.
Well, this year, while we will also have 3 regular ol’ amazing, life-changing sessions of YEA Camp from coast to coast, we are thrilled to also be offering a first-of-its-kind session of YEA Camp specifically for animal advocates!
Held at the incredible Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary in Upstate New York, campers will experience the same fun, inspiring, and informative activities at all YEA Camps while also focusing specifically on becoming the best advocates for animals they can be. The session will be from August 9-16, 2015, at the gorgeous Epworth Center in High Falls, NY, less than 2 hours from Manhattan.
Campers at this unique session will:
- learn the best ways to make a difference for animals through activism at school and in their community
- meet and bond with some of the most dedicated young animal advocates in the country
- receive mentorship from accomplished, adult animal-advocating role models
- gain confidence in speaking up effectively in challenging situations
- recognize the interconnections between animal rights and other social justice issues, like poverty, the environment, racism, and more.
- care for neglected and abused animals at the sanctuary
- become familiar with organizations around the country making a difference for animals
- be inspired by all the progress being made and possibilities for helping animals!
Like at all sessions of YEA Camp, campers will have tons of fun and make great friends in a supportive community, recognize their ability to affect the problems in our world in a more positive way, and leave armed with an action plan to make a difference in their school or community.
And, like all sessions of YEA Camp, which are committed to modeling living peacefully and sustainably, campers will enjoy delicious mostly organic vegan meals – 3 meals, 2 healthy snacks, and an amazing dessert each day!
Of course, animal advocates will still get a ton out of attending any of the other sessions of YEA Camp — including the session in NY taking place at the same time — if those dates or locations work better, or if they’d rather be with a group of people passionate about many different issues versus focused primarily on one.
Space is limited at all of our sessions, and we’ve got a sweet Early Bird Discount until January 1, so now’s the time to learn more about YEA Camp, tell friends, and register for your best summer ever!
Can’t wait til the summer!!!
P.S. Check our site for more info if you’re interested in working at or volunteering with YEA Camp. We’ll start hiring in February.