Bianca of Rancho Cucamonga, CA, attended YEA Camp in 2010 at the age of 14. She has accomplished so much in the past year and a half for animals, we are blown away.
Right after YEA Camp, she started a school club called Hearts for Animals. Their first year, they raised over $1000 for their local animal shelter, participated in community beach clean-ups, and more. This year is their second year, and things have really picked up! She has recruited a lot of great club members, including her co-president whom she credits as helping make the club an even bigger success. Here are just some of the things Hearts for Animals has accomplished this school year:
- A collection drive for items needed by the local animal shelter
- A walk-a-thon to raise money for the shelter
- The club hosts an “activism of the week” program, where Bianca educates members about animal-related issues and ways to take action to help them; she created a whole PowerPoint presentation on going vegetarian
- Volunteering at the organization Cats In Need
- Creating a campaign to help the shelter adopt out their black animals, which they have been having difficulty with
- Starting Pennies for Paws, a fundraiser in which each class at her school donates money for the shelter
- Engaging in a volunteer day once a month at the shelter
- Planning and hosting, along with the school’s environmental club and an animal club at another school, a beach cleanup in Huntington Beach to pick up trash that can harm marine animals!
Bianca says it’s important for their club to be involved with their local animal shelter because they are one of the only groups helping.
According to Bianca, “I really think we our making an impact in our community! I have learned SO MUCH from this experience and even though next year will be my last year with the club, I believe that Hearts for Animals will continue to run at our school and do even bigger and better things, truly leaving a legacy. I know I’ve said this quite some times but I still want to really thank YEA. I still recount my week at camp as one of the best weeks of my life, and remember in detail what I learned and how great of an experience it was. The whole reason why I started Hearts for Animals is because you all inspired me and gave me the confidence to do so. I don’t know where I would be without having gone through that experience!”
Aww, shucks. Thanks, Bianca!
We are so proud and impressed with Bianca’s accomplishments and commitment! Got any words of encouragement, thanks, or questions for her? Post them below.